Monday, March 29, 2010

Blue toenails

Those of you who play soccer or do a lot of running likely have experienced a blue toenail or two. You know what I mean- your toenail turns dark blue and thick, and stays like that for months until it eventually falls off, revealing a new, flimsy nail underneath. Back when I was playing on two soccer teams and running marathons (oh, the salad days), I typically had at least two blue toenails at any given time, to the point where I was too ashamed to get a pedicure because I didn't want to expose anyone else to my Halloween feet. I also once dropped a padlock on my toe, and even though it was years ago, the nail has never fully recovered- it's still thicker than normal and light blue at the base. If I'm ever captured by enemy forces and tortured, I hope that they'd rip out my toenails (as opposed to waterboarding or what have you) because, hey, they could use a fresh start.
Little did I know that there was a home remedy to blue toenails, until Eri pointed me to this thread on a triathelete blog. After giving it a read, I think I'm quite happy to leave my remaining blue toenail in peace.

4 comments:

Nitsirk said...

My toenails still haven't recovered from Ironman back in 2007. I too avoid the pedicure due to potential embarassment. Half of my big toe's nail just came off last week. Think of it as a badge of bad-assness :)

J.R. said...

Yup I did that trick one time with a paperclip I got molten hot on the stove and then it goes through the nail like butter, and voila! pressure relieved. But be careful not to burn the hell out of the tender skin on te other side.

Suldog said...

I've encountered that minor operation in a locker room. Not pretty - but very loud - when the drill goes a bit too far and hits paydirt.

Ryan said...

Thanks for the encouragement JR! I've been debating home remedies since Sunday and took the plunge this afternoon. It worked like charm. A nasty, bloody, charm. Much better.