Sunday, March 07, 2010

My new apartment

So, after a long and fairly frustrating search, I finally found an apartment and moved in this weekend. And I love it! It's in my favorite neighborhood (or favourite neighbourhood, if you prefer Aussie spellings) in Melbourne: Fitzroy. Close to work, close to downtown, and loaded with restaurants and pubs and cafes and funky shops. My apartment is right around the corner from Brunswick Street, the main drag. The area has a definite hipster vibe to it (skinny jeans and trendy haircuts abound) but doesn't seem annoyingly pretentious. The apartment itself is nice- it's not large but it's relatively new (adios Southie squalor) and does have a balcony and a little sun room. My new flatmate is an Australian named Belinda- we hit it off right away when I stopped by to check out the place, and she offered it to me on the spot. I told her I'd need a couple of days to decide, but ended up texting her about ten minutes after I walked out the door to accept.

I moved in this weekend, amidst the craziest weather Melbourne has seen in a while. And conveniently, today is Labour Day here, so I have an extra day to get myself settled before the workweek begins. Here are a couple of photos of my new hood- Brunsiwck Street, a really neat looking bar that I have yet to try (but I love the faded, tropical look of the building), and a flower shop.




Still no home internet connection, but I hope to get that established this week sometime and will return to my normal posting frequency.

5 comments:

Kris said...

Congrats! It's really nice to be settled.

Eri said...

YAY! Congrats Eileen! Wait...is that an edible arrangements next to the flower shop?

eileen said...

No, that is NOT an Edible Arrangements store- don't even joke about that!! Grrrrr.

Kevin said...

Congrats on finding a place and a good roomie. By downtown, you mean "CBD", right? Ya gotta get with the lingo, dingo. ;) The pics from that storm are pretty crazy.

carmen said...

fun fun fun!