Monday, June 28, 2010

The week in pictures


Australia got a new Prime Minister, and the first female to hold the position- congratulations to Julia Gillard. I'm still a bit baffled by the fact that here in Australia, you can get a new prime minister without an election or a coup. Although it doesn't happen very often, elected members of the ruling party can change their leader, and the thinking behind this move is that the former PM Kevin Rudd's popularity had sunken so low that the party deemed it best to replace him prior to the upcoming election, which isn't technically scheduled yet but will happen by the end of this year. Parliamentary system of government, you are bananas.

In unrelated news, I knocked heads with another girl going up for a header in Sunday's soccer game and am now sporting a massive black eye. Pretty! I did end up going to the doctor to make sure I didn't have a concussion (which I didn't), but he recommended a skull x-ray. Results are coming in tomorrow. I'm fairly confident that it's just a bad bump, though. And I think I'll stick with an ice pack rather than putting a steak on it.

5 comments:

ek said...

You love getting black eyes. Admit it. The last one you got had a great story along with it. But feel better!

Suldog said...

If the x-rays show nothing, please do make that joke. It's one of my favorites!

tobeannounced said...

Black eye or not, you look gorgeous! :)

eileen said...

Thanks, all! I'm feeling a lot better but the black eye is even blacker. It'll be a great conversation starter at the conference I'm attending next week.

Kevin said...

Blair handed over to Gordon Brown in 2007 with no public election either.

Btw, my word verification is "flatio". Is that short for a dirtier action?