Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Science baking competition

This week my workplace held a special science-themed baking competition. Entries had to be cookies or cupcakes so they could be easily shared, and groups were encouraged to make entries related to their own research. My original idea was to make a periodic table of mini cupcakes (oh come on, you think it's awesome), but since I was off gallivanting with my Sydney visitors (will post on that later) I didn't have a chance to bake, so I was a spectator and taster instead. My group stayed true to our research and submitted bacterial-themed treats that resembled colonies growing on agar plates. I was very impressed with the entries, and my favorites included macaroons shaped like chromosomes and mitochondria eclairs. The winner was cupcakes decorated with sleeping babies from a group who does sleep research on infants- they were cute but the edible baby decorations were a little bit cannibalistic for my tastes. I really hope they hold the contest again next year- it was really fun and tasty!


7 comments:

J.R. said...

dear god woman, i LOVE you.

eileen said...

I knew this would be up your alley.

Meghan Kelly said...

THat is easily the coolest baking contest ever.

Caro said...

que delicia!

Kevin said...

No pictures of the edible babies?!

I've probably told you the story of the Lebanese restaurant in London whose website menu mistakenly put "aborigine" for "aubergine (eggplant)" and hence wound up with classic (and so un-PC) dishes like "grilled aborigine" and my favorite "fried baby aborigine". Unfortunately they took down the website so it can no longer be shared.

Suldog said...

I rather like the lab mice. Brownies?

eileen said...

The mice were definitely made of chocolate...
and Kev, I think you did send me a link to the aborigine menu back when the website was still up. It was tremendous :)