Inspired by Sarah's "It's OK To Tell" campaign, I decided to make a list of things you should tell someone, anyone, even a complete stranger, to save them the anguish of discovering something is amiss, and then wondering for how long and how many people noticed but didn't say anything.
You should politely point out:
1. Food stuck in teeth.
2. Toilet paper on the bottom of the shoe.
3. A terrible sunburn, when in progress. (My sister hates my compulsion to tell strangers at the beach that they are getting sunburnt. But they'll thank me later, when they don't have melanoma.)
4. Skirt tucked into pantyhose.
5. Shirt is inside out (although I might be the only person on Earth who frequently wears clothing inside out, entirely by accident. It happened again last week, and I didn't notice until late afternoon. Throw me a frickin' bone, people!)
6. Smeared makeup/ lipstick on teeth.
For the next two, you may be more selective of whom you tell.
7. Unzipped fly. No need to tell the creepy stranger of opposite sex on the bus, or your boss, because that's just awkward.
8. Booger in nose (or elsewhere). Reserved for good friends only.
Anything I'm forgetting?