Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I had a very busy weekend. Ern and I went to a Mountain Goats concert on Friday night at the Museum of Fine Arts. The sound wasn't the best- for a lot of the tracks, the drums were up way too loud, so you could barely catch John Darnielle's vocals. Which isn't good for a band known primarily for their lyrics. Speaking of Darnielle, for some reason, I have always pictured him looking like David Cross, which he doesn't, at all. Once they got the sound figured out, I was impressed by how his voice sounded exactly the same as it does on recordings. Oh, and he has a blog.


The rest of the weekend centered around the St. Patrick's Day parade in South Boston. I've lived on the parade route for five years, so every year, I end up hosting a very rambunctious parade watching party. This year was no exception- we had two kegs, and they were both empty by around 5PM. I thought that would be the end of the party, but beers were purchased and the reveling continued for a few more hours. Thanks to everyone who stopped by, especially those of you who brought fun gifts, like a Celtics pennant, a silver mug, and Bailey's cookies. Here are some photos...I especially like the one of all the people from Framingham posing with the "Take Pride In Framingham" bumper sticker that my mom gave me. We're proud of Framingham, but is Framingham proud of us?

























Now, go drink a Guinness and eat come corned beef. Sláinte!

6 comments:

Kevin said...

Here's your fun St. Paddy's trivia: A failed slave uprising on 17 March 1798 led to Montserrat (tiny British dependency in the Caribbean) later becoming one of only four places in the world that celebrates St Patrick's Day as a public or bank holiday (the others being the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland and the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador).

Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland, Montserrat (settled mainly by Irish Catholics in the early days) and Nigeria.

Anonymous said...

Here in Augusta, Georgia I saw a water fountain on the island between lanes and an intersection near Medical College of Georgia had lively green water spraying from it...cool...Irish spirit lives on. Most of the college kids had on some green but work goes on like it were another day. It made me want to be in Savannah, they say the river runs green on St. Paddy's Day.
Mrs. V
PS, Where is Maria???

eileen said...

Maria was there, but I think my memory card filled up before she arrived.

Anonymous said...

Once again, a brilliant party.

Anonymous said...

your pictures make me miss boston so much - st. patty's day wasn't the same here in CA...

Anonymous said...

remind me to come to boston next year for st. pats!

how were mountain goats? i LOVE them but have never seen 'em live.