Wednesday, July 29, 2009

My current fascination: juggalos

Remember the band Insane Clown Posse? Maybe not...all I knew of them is that they were some sort of novelty rap group from several years ago, and they wore clown make-up. Little did I know that they apparently have a large and devoted cult following of fans who refer to themselves as Juggalos. And they all get together once a year for a festival known as The Gathering. And this year's festival is advertised with perhaps the most absurd infomercial I've ever seen. It's about 15 minutes long, but well-worth it for a fascinating look into the juggalo subculture. I mean, in addition to a lot of angry dudes in clown make-up, there's also wrestling, helicopter rides, all you can eat cheeseburgers, and seminars. Who knew? And Ice Cube is participating in this thing? Pauly Shore? It just gets weirder and weirder, but I did enjoy the unintentionally hilarious voiceover and graphics.

In case you share my newfound obsession with juggalo life, here's an article from Vice magazine: In the Land of the Juggalos.

Oh...links NSFW, depending on where you work, I guess.

3 comments:

Suldog said...

I used to follow professional wrestling on a regular (some would say disturbing) basis. I wrote a weekly on-line review of the TV shows (all of which are no longer extant, thank God.) Anyway, ICP actually wrestled for a few months on the old WCW show that aired on TBS. They weren't very good, but it was certainly bizarre.

Kevin said...

Wow, what can I say about that video. I need to go to that.

Whenever I'm listening to my iPod and someone asks what I'm listening to I always say "Insane Clown Posse". I have no idea what they sound like, but the name was always catchy.

m j said...

that gathering is frightening. looks like a breeding ground for white supremacists.