Monday, June 08, 2009

Reunion Recap



This past weekend, I attended my 10 year college reunion at Notre Dame. Aside from the strange sensation of being, well, ten years older than I used to be, it was an absolute blast. I normally go back for football weekends, and this was a nice change of pace- not crowded at all and a very relaxed environment. Everything is taken care of and included in the price- we stayed in the Dillon Hall and spent most of our time in the refreshment tent. Um, free beer from 1pm to 1am every day? ND certainly knows their audience.

I had a great time hanging out with my PW girls (we're still the funniest people we know), got a chance to catch up with a lot of classmates whom I genuinely like but hadn’t kept in contact with, and even made a bunch of new friends from the classes of 2004 and 1994. I skipped my 5 year reunion and I won’t make that mistake again- I definitely plan on going to the rest of them and would recommend it to fellow graduates. Although I loved attending Notre Dame, I’ve never been much of a rah-rah alumna. However, after spending an idyllic weekend back on campus, I left with the feeling that it really is a special place.

The 2009 Reunion in figures:

Number of beers I consumed at the refreshment tent: approximately 1000
Number to times I woke up in time for breakfast: 0
Items hauled back to the dorm by my friends: about 25 feet of Caution Tape and 1 enormous balloon tower
Trips to CJ’s: 1
Trips to the Backer: 1
Trips to Don Pablo’s: 1
New buildings on campus since 1999: around 10 (holy crap- campus is like double the size now!)
Priests spotted in the beer tent: 2
Recreated Graffiti Dance t-shirts: 16
Styrofoam coolers destroyed during a late-night sleepwalking incident: 1
My attempts on the Slip N’ Slide: 3
My successful attempts on the Slip N’ Slide: 1
Former classmates who are now doctors and lawyers: a lot
Former classmates who now inexplicably resemble Fabio: 1
Time of last text message sent on Saturday night: 4:17AM (no, it wasn't a booty text)

The reunion in pictures:






4 comments:

Kris said...

Great recap, RT! You've made me seriously reconsider whether it's worth timing a visit home for the next one...

eileen said...

Yeah, it was such a blast! Only 200 people from our class went, but honestly, I'd recommend it over a football weekend- just so much less hassle in terms of lodging and getting around S. Bend. (well, until ND actually gets good again, then the games would be more worthwhile)

Mrs. V said...

So where is the picture of the Fabio look alike?
Maria said she was having a blast and from the looks of the pictures now I know why.

eileen said...

Mrs. V.- check out the pics we have up on Facebook!