1. I got to use my laptop bag for the first time. It's pink and shiny and I bought it for $15 at the mall. Yes, slightly ridiculous, but I love it. My roommate Ern HATES it. It offends her with its lack of blackness. But guess who else loves it? EVERYONE! You'd think it was a puppy by the amount of attention it attracted. Security guards and airport personnel were complimenting it all day, and a man chased me down to ask me where I bought it because his wife liked it.
2. The hotel is really nice.
3. The food is lousy.
4. After a morning training session, they divided the readers into table groups, where we will be spending the next 6 full days grading exam questions. I am the youngest person by about 20 years in my group. When we introduced ourselves, we all said where we were from, what we taught, and what was our biggest accomplishment in the past year. Everyone else had touching stories about their children graduating from college, birth of a first grandchild, blah blah blah, and then I wowed them with "I bounced a check and gave myself a black eye in the same month!" (Just kidding. I mean, I did actually do that, but I didn't tell my table.)
5. My "reading buddy" has a terrible cold and is constantly coughing and blowing her nose, and in the process accumulating a pile of used tissues that resides way too close to my elbow for comfort.
5. As for the work itself, there are a lot of bad answers to the question that I'm correcting. However, bad can sometimes be funny. Like this statement, about the evolutionary significance of cephalization: "the first cells evolved from prenuptial soup."
Um...I believe the student meant "primordial soup" and was not referring to the first course of a rehearsal dinner. Ba-dum-bum. I'll be here all week. No really, I will.
6. Off to see a minor league baseball game tonight- the Louisville Bats! (named for the Louisville Slugger, the official bat of the MLB.)
7. Trivia question for you guys: what legendary athlete is from Louisville?