Friday, April 07, 2006

Plantar fasciitis update

So, today I went to the infirmary and got a referral to see a podiatrist about my foot pain. Turns out my self-diagnosis was correct: I have plantar fasciitis. Here's what the doctor ordered:
1. Wear orthotics in my shoes.
2. Wear a night splint to bed. Yeah, that's hott.
3. 3 Advil, 3 times a day.
4. Stretch it before I get out of bed.
5. Ice 20 minutes daily.
6. No running until the pain goes away.
7. No flip flops. Ever.

I bought the orthotics and the doctor gave me the silly-looking big black sleeping boot, which I will test drive tonight. Obviously, I shouldn't have waited as long as I did to get it taken care of (Will I ever learn?). I'm hoping that if I stick to the treatment plan for the next couple of weeks, I'll be able to start running again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear the news, Eileen, but lordy, no flip flops?! Maybe your new career can be designing orthotic flippies.

Hope you feel better!

eileen said...

Thanks, Beth! Yes, the no flip flops rule is definitely the worst part of it. Even worse that the night boot.