Monday, April 03, 2006

Plantar fasciitis

A couple of months ago, I mentioned having plantar fasciitis, an inflammation of the tendon of the foot that causes heel pain. It hasn't gone away. I had heard that the best thing to do for it was to rest, so I didn't go running for two whole weeks, and guess what? It didn't help. It's still hurting, even more so since I played soccer on Saturday. I've gotten some tips from people who've had it before; they've recommended stretching and rolling my foot around on a tennis ball. I also may buy shock-absorbing insoles to put in my shoes. I'm not sure if I can use the cheap ones you get in a drugstore or if I need fitted orthotics. I think I need to go see a doctor. I don't know why I've been putting it off. Okay, that's a lie. I'm 99% sure they're going to tell me that there's nothing they can do and I'm going to have to rest it for a couple of months, and I don't want to hear it. Summer's coming, and I want to be able to run outside, play soccer, and not sit around feeling like a lazy-ass. I'm also slightly worried that it might be something worse than plantar fasciitis, like a stress fracture or bone spurs, and I don't want to find out. However, I've reached the point where I'm tired of the chronic pain and I'm sick of limping around. There's something wrong with my foot and avoiding going to the doctor isn't going to make it any better.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you better go to the doctor so that you can fix the problem silly!!

Anonymous said...

Dude,

I already told you that you need to:

1. Get Powerstep inserts and put them your shoes (these are firm insets with arch support, you can get them at a running store or online)
2. Stretch your calf muscles out before you get out of bed in the morning. Tight calves=hurty heel
3. Ice your heel for an hour each day, like when you are at the computer or on the phone.

eileen said...

Okay, okay! I just bought the inserts yesterday. Fingers crossed.