Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Weekend Report

Friday- Went to a dinner party for Kim's birthday. Food + friends + wine + The Office on TiVo + more wine + karaoke = loads of fun.

Saturday- My friend Brian arrived in town for the marathon, and it was a beautiful day, so I decided to fire up the grill for the first time all year and invited a few friends over for swordfish kebabs. Afterwards, we headed out to the Cantab lounge to see Little Joe Cook, a.k.a the Nutman, a name reminiscent of both his short stature and his 1957 hit song "Peanuts." If you live in the Boston area and you've never seen him perform, I'd highly recommend it, and sooner rather than later, because the guy has got to be pushing eighty. The music is fun, the beers cheap, and the entertainment is, well, entertaining. The people-watching is also unparalleled, a prime example of which on Saturday night was a man in a polo shirt and spandex bike shorts who alternated between hitting on girls and dancing by himself on the dance floor. I've known about Little Joe Cook for years, because he lives right near my elementary school in Framingham and was often spotted cruising around in his yellow convertible with a NUTMAN vanity plate.

Sunday- Went for a jog with Brian, then had a big breakfast with MJ and Jamie. We had a traditional Easter Dinner at my parents house, where I got busted for skipping church and probably caused some initial confusion when I showed up with a married guy. Sunday night, I saw V for Vendetta, which I really liked, despite the cheesy Matrix-like special effects in the final fight scene.

Monday- Patriots' Day! One of my favorite holidays, which I believed was celebrated nationwide until my freshman year at ND, when I mentioned it and no one had any idea what I was talking about. Patriots' Day commemorates the battle of Concord and Lexington that kicked off the revolutionary war, and is also known as Marathon Monday. Most people have the day off and spend it drinking beer, eating junk food, and cheering on the runners. I did exactly that, and even spotted Brian cruising by at the 25 mile mark. Congrats to him and to Tricia.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Thanks! :) We had a great time in Boston. My mom loved all of the Dunkin Donuts.