Monday, April 28, 2008

Three Items Or Less

I have decided that I have a threshold for the number of objects I can keep track of at any given time, and that number is three. Wallet, keys, and phone. Throw something else into the mix, let's say an umbrella or a pair of sunglasses, and something is bound to go missing. Fortunately, it tends to be the umbrella or sunglasses and not the more crucial items. However, the outcome is that for me, umbrellas and sunglasses are essentially disposable products, good for one use only. And you know that theory that if you buy an expensive pair of sunglasses, you'll take better care of them and not lose them? Well, my data* disprove that hypothesis. I once bought a really cool umbrella at the Museum of Fine Arts that cost around $40 dollars, and I lost it the very same day, within two hours. I think if I ever get engaged and my fiance gives me a diamond ring (two very big ifs, considering that I don't have a boyfriend and I'm not really into the whole diamond thing, but bear with me, people.), I will inevitably lose it, and be all upset "Oh my gosh I am so sorry that I lost the really expensive diamond ring you bought me! Waaaah!" and he'll reply "Oh, that's okay. It was fake." and I'll be like "You jerk! THANK GOD." because obviously fictional fiance would know me well enough to realize that I would lose said diamond ring.

Anyways, yesterday I bought my third pair of sunglasses of the year.

*data = plural, datum = singular

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have similar problems. I usually carry around a dorky canvas bag full of junk and I am AMAZED at what long lost items I inevitably find in there!

Kris said...

I can't believe you forgot to mention how in college, you lost your wallet and keys at LEAST three times per week. And you'd make us all help you look for it.

eileen said...

RT...you're so right!
I conveniently forgot to mention that :)

"Oh no! I can't find my ID!"

Are you having flashbacks?

Mrs. V said...

The whole DATA thing has me gritting my teeth. It is so retarded and I can't wrap my brain around it when my boss says, "The data are...." AAAAArrrrgggghhhh I'm sure it didn't used to be plural, or, at least, people didn't speak about 'data' as plural. It's just recently, I think, everyone is correcting themselves. It sounds AWFUL, I hate it, I want it changed!!

Mrs V. in CDC

eileen said...

Mrs. V- yeah, I had a prof who was a stickler about data being plural so now I always notice. I got used to it, but I think the fact that I took Latin in high school makes it sound less strange to me.