Sunday, April 13, 2008

Todays "links"

I have a love-hate relationship with typos. I hate them, yet I feel sort of giddy and elated whenever I find one. A friend's sister has a blog devoted to typos, grammatical errors, and all sorts of odd signage: Pedestrian Typography.

A related "phenomenon" that I "flat-out" hate is the unnecessary use of "quotation" marks. For this reason, I can't remotely handle Zagat's restaurant guides. However, the "Blog" of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks is truly a marvelous creation.
Update: Ahhhh! They're everywhere! And what do you think they mean by "time?"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am going to be up late reading the quotation mark blog...I'm only 4 entries in and already hysterical! It reminds me of my favorite Friends episode, when they are trying to teach Joey how to use air quotes. Classic

Anonymous said...

"Puerto Rican time" means one hour later than the stated/written time since we are always chronically late. Even wedding invitations have down one hour before you want everyone there. Only the gringos arrive at the stated time and have to wait an hour before anyone else gets there.

eileen said...

Beth- yeah, I totally went through the archives on that site.

Anon- that's pretty funny, and true, I'm sure, but doesn't solve the mystery of Southie "Time"

Anonymous said...

Jamie is always going to "times". I don't know all the details but it's basically another word for fundraiser. His friend Tom had one to help pay his medical bills after his construction accident that left him crippled. He went to one for a friend of his who was dying of cancer and recently he went to a "Time" for the victims of that fire on Emerson St. I guess "Times" are pretty common in Southie.

Anonymous said...

I just asked Jamie and he said that using "fund raiser" makes the fundee feel as they are begging for money. They use "time" to disguise the fund raiser as a celebration for their time as a friend.

eileen said...

Mystery solved- I have noticed that there are benefits all time time in Southie but didn't know people called them "times."

eileen said...

oops, meant to write all the time. now who's making typos?

Anonymous said...

hey, thanks for the shoutout!! cheers.