Sunday, December 11, 2005

Pride and Prejudice

I saw Pride and Prejudice last week, and I liked it. I assume that most of you are familiar with the classic Jane Austen novel about five sisters looking for love in Georgian England, so I will spare you the details. Of course, this film can't be compared to the 1995 miniseries version, because Colin Firth is the Best Darcy Ever, but it wasn't bad. I liked Keira Knightley as Lizzie, and the actors playing Jane and Mr. Bingley were perfect. It was fun to see Donald Sutherland as Mr. Bennet as well. Those of you who are fans of the novel and of the miniseries version may be disappointed, because this version lacks a lot of the subtlety is a bit more Pride and Prejudice for Dumbasses, as my RT calls it in her more critical review. The film has two different endings; UK audiences saw a chuckling Mr. Bennet, and US audiences were subjected to a much cheesier Lizzie and Darcy love-fest (but no sex, alas) at the end. Despite the movie's flaws, I still thoroughly enjoyed it, I couldn't help myself but to laugh at the embarrassing antics of the Bennet family, root for Lizzie and Jane, and hope that once again, love would conquer all.

No comments: