Monday, November 07, 2005

Boston city election tomorrow

This one goes out to City of Boston residents- please remember to vote tomorrow! I must admit that I am not normally a devoted follower of local politics (hey, they're all democrats) but I've become interested in it over the past year due to the controversy surrounding the new Biosafety Level 4 laboratory. I am 100% in support of the new building- I think it is a great opportunity for research in infectious disease. Many of the diseases that will be focused on in the new building are things like tuberculosis, malaria, Ebola, etc..., diseases that kill millions of people worldwide, but have been largely ignored by the research industry because they tend to kill poor people, and there's no money in that. As a scientist (in training), I am familiar with the extensive security measures and precautions that are used when working with infectious substances, and am fully confident that the new building will be safe. I may even end up working there. Despite what the doomsayers believe, having a Biosafety Level 4 laboratory a great opportunity for scientific research in the city of Boston, and is not a threat to public safety.
So on that note, I'm voting for Mayor Mumbles, who has been an adamant supporter of the new building, and not Maura Hennigan, who has been trying to scare up votes by referring to the BU "bioweapons plant." For city council, I'm going with Flaherty, Yoon, Connolly, and Murphy. Here's some detailed info on the candidates.

No comments: