Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Decaf, please

Since my caffeine intake has slowly escalated from a morning coffee and a lunchtime soda to 4-5 cups of joe a day, I have decided to take a week off the good stuff to purify myself. The trip to San Diego put me over the edge, I think, because I drank coffee all day and switched directly to alcohol in the evening, without a pause for water. My kidneys must hate me. Most of my unhealthy habits are cyclical, like for coffee, I held steady for at one cup in the morning for a year or so, then more and more cups started creeping into my day, until all of the sudden I'm drinking two cups in the morning, breaking for a soda at lunch, and grabbing a couple of more cups in the afternoon. I plan to stop drinking it completely for a week or two and then go back to my one morning cup. I suppose I could give it up completely, but I enjoy drinking coffee and don't really have any desire to break myself entirely of the habit. All good things in moderation.

5 comments:

Jon said...

Um, cold turkey may not be the way to go. Maybe switch a few of those coffees to gin & tonics for a while to ease into it.

Jon said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
tara d. said...

im with jon - not on gin and tonics at all, but on slow switch. i guarantee you the world's biggest headaches if you just stop. i worked at an independent coffee shop here in chi where we had to try our own shots every morning. when i stopped working there, nothing satiated me and i was migraine city. think about still having one a day and drinking water for the rest, especially if you're going back anyway.

eileen said...

I actually stopped on Monday and had a killer headache, compounded by the fact that I was traveling all day. I had a Diet Coke in the afternoon to ease the pain, but since then, I've been caffeine free and haven't felt any adverse effects.

eileen said...

Kara, what brand do you use and where do you buy it? Not that I'm cravig coffee or anything, I was just wondering...