Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Decaf, please

Since my caffeine intake has slowly escalated from a morning coffee and a lunchtime soda to 4-5 cups of joe a day, I have decided to take a week off the good stuff to purify myself. The trip to San Diego put me over the edge, I think, because I drank coffee all day and switched directly to alcohol in the evening, without a pause for water. My kidneys must hate me. Most of my unhealthy habits are cyclical, like for coffee, I held steady for at one cup in the morning for a year or so, then more and more cups started creeping into my day, until all of the sudden I'm drinking two cups in the morning, breaking for a soda at lunch, and grabbing a couple of more cups in the afternoon. I plan to stop drinking it completely for a week or two and then go back to my one morning cup. I suppose I could give it up completely, but I enjoy drinking coffee and don't really have any desire to break myself entirely of the habit. All good things in moderation.

8 comments:

Jon said...

Um, cold turkey may not be the way to go. Maybe switch a few of those coffees to gin & tonics for a while to ease into it.

Jon said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
tara d. said...

im with jon - not on gin and tonics at all, but on slow switch. i guarantee you the world's biggest headaches if you just stop. i worked at an independent coffee shop here in chi where we had to try our own shots every morning. when i stopped working there, nothing satiated me and i was migraine city. think about still having one a day and drinking water for the rest, especially if you're going back anyway.

eileen said...

I actually stopped on Monday and had a killer headache, compounded by the fact that I was traveling all day. I had a Diet Coke in the afternoon to ease the pain, but since then, I've been caffeine free and haven't felt any adverse effects.

awkwardandproud said...

I justify my addiction to caffeine by drinking fair trade, Nica-grown coffee. My addiction/suffering is part of a bigger social justice movement! (or something...)

Therefore, I say stick to a cup or two a day.
-Kara

eileen said...

Kara, what brand do you use and where do you buy it? Not that I'm cravig coffee or anything, I was just wondering...

awkwardandproud said...

I buy it at a local coop. I think it's called Peace Coffee. There's probably a web site somewhere, I'll see if I can find anymore info. There's also Equal Exchange, which I know will do mail orders or their Fair Trade coffee, but I'm not sure if they buy any Nica beans.
-Kara

awkwardandproud said...

Check out:
https://www.peacecoffee.com/nicaraguan.htm
-and-
http://www.equalexchange.com/


Turns out either will ship.