Saturday, January 14, 2006

Days 7 , 8, and 9



Day 7. We left Albuquerque and drove to Cortez, Colorado to visit my friend Courtney, where we stayed in a house with 7 women and 4 dogs.



Day 8 was the most eventful of the trip. The morning began with the trunk to the car not closing, so we secured it with bungee cords and spent the morning in the Honda dealership of Farmington, NM getting it fixed. They managed to close the trunk but told us not to open it until we got to San Diego, so we had to spend the last two days of the trip in the same clothing. I'll spare the details, but one member resorted to the inside-out underwear trick (okay, it was me). After the trunk stop, we hit Four Corners where I fulfilled my second grade dream of being in four states at the same time, and it was aweome. During the drive to the Grand Canyon, we spotted two abandoned puppies on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere on a Navajo Reservation, and softhearted Eri insisted on rescuing them. We put them in a paper bag and drove around with them for an hour, with Eri drving, me holding the bag of squirming puppies on my lap, and Carolina holding Boomer in the back seat. We eventually found a police station and dropped them off there. We made it to the Grand Canyon right before sunset, and it was spectacular as expected. Next stop was Flagstaff, AZ, where we stayed in the Worst Motel 6 Ever. Ugh.

Day 9. The last day in the car; we arrived in San Diego and the journey was complete.

Photos coming soon...

2 comments:

brigita said...

In the midst of your x-country adventure, you saved PUPPIES?! That is the COOLEST. Now none of my vacations will ever be truely complete until I rescue abandoned juvenile animals. Great work!

eileen said...

I must admit that it was my sister who insisted that we save the puppies. I'm glad we did, though, because otherwise I'd probably be having bad dreams about them.