Thursday, January 26, 2006

My gym nemesis

I have a gym nemesis. He's ALWAYS there, no matter when I go, which means that he either is constantly is at the gym or he somehow knows to go only when I'm going to be there so he can do his nemesis thing. What has he done to provoke my wrath? Well, he's one of those circuit trainers, people who simultaneously use seven or eight machines at once instead of doing them sequentially. Every time I go to the gym (about twice a week), I run on the treadmill for about half an hour and then I lift, alternating between legs and arms and back. I do some free weights, but mostly use the machines. And Gym Nemesis is always doing legs the same day I am, and arms and back the same day I'm doing those. So, basically, no matter what machine I'm using, he's there, asking to switch in with me. I don't mind switching in with someone, but couldn't he just use one machine at a time instead of moving in a circuit and constantly interrupting everyone, and by everyone, I mean me? To make matters worse, he's like 5'3" and lifts double what I do, so I have to reset the damn settings every single time. Aaargh! And he's a tank top spandex wearer! And sweaty! And annoying! I hate him with the fire of a thousand suns.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, you're 28 and single. You should mellow out and ask him to go out on a date.

eileen said...

a tank top and spandex? for real? even a 28 year old loser like me has standards.

Anonymous said...

Date him? No way! You should tell this guy to buy a wig and go join Curves.

brigita said...

I've had more gym nemeses in my life than I can count, everyone from Shoeless Joe Jerkface who wore one of those straight from the 80's garbage bag sweat suits to the scary-thin anorexic girl at ND who would be on the eliptical every time I went to The Rock (and I did *not* have a regular work-out schedule).

I wonder if working out causes our testosterone levels to rise slightly, which in turn shortens our fuse considerably...

Ever thought about moving away from the weight machines more towards free weights? Mixing things up is always a good idea so your body can't adapt to one particular work out.

eileen said...

Although this guy is my current nemesis, he's not as icky as the creep from my last gym who used to corner girls and ask them out, in the middle of the cardio area, in front of everyone. AWKWARD! He did it to me, and I pulled the "No thanks, I have a boyfriend" and then I overheard him ask some other girl out like two days later, who looked equally appalled.

and yes, I should do more free weights. I'm slowly getting over my embarassment at only being able to lift the bar.