Monday, January 23, 2006

Let it snow

Yay, just like that, my winter blahs have vanished! The cause of this giddiness? A snowstorm. I love snow. I'm not a big fan of winter, but the way I figure, if it's going to be cold outside, it might as well snow. I may be biased because I do not have a driveway or a car, therefore, snow does not equal shoveling. Snowstorms in the city are fun: everything looks pristine, everyone looks ridiculous tromping around it, everyone is late to work and it doesn't matter. Strangers smile and talk to each other, extremely rare behavior in these parts, with a "we're all in this together" vibe. Today's snow is perfect snowball snow. Fluffy and with enough moisture to pack well. I made one on my way to work, and once you make a snowball, you just HAVE to throw it. The snowball must fulfill its destiny. There were no people around, and I wouldn't have had the guts to throw it at someone I didn't know. I considered throwing it at a passing car, because that would have been hilarious- the driver would have looked around expecting a pack of kids only to find out that he/she had been hit by a 28 year old woman (seems weird to refer to myself as a woman, but I'm no spring chicken anymore, so I can't keep calling myself a girl, I certainly don't act like a lady most of the time, and the term gal annoys me, so woman it is) on her way to work. I wussed out and threw it at one of those plastic boxes that holds free newspapers instead. It did make a satisfying thwock sound and exploded upon impact, sign of a good snowball.

No comments: