Thursday, May 15, 2008

I Love You But I Have Grown Weary of Your Incessant Events

Warning: I'm in a crap mood and am currently wearing my bitchpants. But if I can't write a whiny, self-absorbed post on my own blog, then what good is it?

Those of you who regularly check in on DCoE may have noticed that my posting of late has become rather uninspired. Why? I'm exhausted. Why? Two reasons. One: I've been working a lot. Two: The Events. Weddings, birthday parties, housewarmings, bridal showers, baby showers, goodbye parties, bachelorette parties, graduation parties, engagement parties, and so on. They're taking over my life. Don't get me wrong. I love my friends. My kooky family and my friendships are by far the best aspect of my life and, to be honest, all that I have. Well, them and booze. But I've been so busy attending the aforementioned events that I haven't spent any waking time at home in weeks. The Netflix movies that came in January? Still sitting on top of the television, unwatched. The fridge? Populated by half empty containers of salsa and mustard. Nary a vegetable in sight. The laundry situation? Dire. And sometimes I like to lie on the couch and watch Lost, or cook a nice meal for myself and record it in my cooking scrapbook (Yes, it's nerdy. Shut up.) or sleep in then go for a long run on Sunday morning, but it seems like I'm always scurrying off to some sort of daytime party. Maybe it's part of getting older- everyone has such busy schedules that socializing is confined to planned events. An overabundance of planned events.

So, I've made a decision. I'm going to start declining some of these Evites and invitations. Even if I don't have a specific conflict.
But maybe in a couple of weeks, let's go grab a drink after work, or catch a movie. Or just stay in and hang out and order a pizza. No need to pick out an outfit, or buy a gift. No RSVP required.

10 comments:

jay said...

I have a solution to your dilema. Move to Maine like we did. We have no friends up here, so we never have anything to do... wait.. that might not be a good thing either haha

KcM said...

Don't discount the booze. Always there when you need it. That and Berkeley have been the MVPs of my grad school life.

Anonymous said...

Here here! I will lift my...uh...glass to those sentiments. We had to start declining invites a long time ago for the same reasons. And besides...it practically breaks your checkbook because virtually every event requires a thoughtful gift...from a gift registry. Hang in there, it'll slow down again in...oh...October!

eileen said...

Jay- feast or famine, I guess.

Yeah, my credit card statements are downright ghastly this year! I think my new policy is going to be weddings and birthdays only, and a polite "sorry, can't make it." for everything else.

Anonymous said...

MOVE AWAY.

Hahaaha, it works.

mj said...

Don't even think about skipping the Crawfish Boil. No present or special outfit needed.

eileen said...

Don't worry, MJ, the Crawfish Boil is a do! However, I will be a late arrival because I have a bridal shower that day.

Save me some mudbugs and at least one liter of hurricaines :)

Anonymous said...

Yup, showers suck, but bachelorettes are even worse. Never again!

Kerry

Sugarmouth O'Riordan said...

I love the post title. Also, incessant, weary & dire. :)

Stacey said...

If I were in Boston, I would be all about the beers & pizza, no gifts required night. Maybe sometime soon. :)