Saturday, May 10, 2008

Movie Review: Iron Man

I saw Iron Man last night and I loved it. In spite of my innate nerdiness, I was never that into comic books and therefore didn't really know anything about Iron Man. Tony Stark is the protagonist, a wealthy MIT grad who inherits his father's weapons operation and flourishes in the business, until he is captured by a group of warlords in Afghanistan. Tony escapes and undergoes a change of heart about his position as a defense contractor (partly due to the fact that Stark missiles have become the weapons of choice for the world's terrorists) and decides to use his engineering prowess for good, using a flashy, kick-ass robotic suit. That's really all you need to know. The movie is a ton of fun- interesting plot, likeable characters, and cool but not overwhelming special effects. As the main character Tony Stark, Robert Downey Jr. is hilarious, sexy, and entirely believable. The supporting cast also shines- I even liked Gwenyth Paltrow as the token comic book female, Miss Pepper Potts. Oh, and the ending rocks, and features the best use of Black Sabbath in cinema history.

We saw Kate Hudson, who is currently filming a movie in Boston, at the theater with her kid. I didn't even recognize her until Maria pointed her out- she looked just like a regular girl, in jeans and a pony tail, and much shorter than I imagined (aren't they all? Holllywood....Land of the Lilliputians). I felt sorry for her- she can't even go to the movies without everyone noticing and gawking at her. But that didn't stop me from staring.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you stick around and watch the last scene after the credits?

If you didn't and want to know what happened, but don't want to sit through 20 minutes of titles telling you who the Gaffer and Best Boy were, holla.

eileen said...

I did watch the extra scene; thanks, though. Wow, those were a LOT of credits.