Friday, November 10, 2006

Embarrassing moment of the week

So, do you ever do weird things for no reason? And then get embarrassed when someone catches you? No?
Anyways, yesterday I was using a centrifuge in a storage room filled with freezers and equipment. The storage room is at the end of a sparsely populated hallway, so I had no one to talk to while I was waiting for my sample. Bored, I noticed a small space between two large freezers and wondered if I could fit in the space. I squirmed in, and it felt sort of snug and cozy being squished in between the two freezers, so I was standing there zoning out. Just as I started process the thought "I better get out of here before someone walks by and sees me," someone walked in the room. He didn't see me, and started filling up a tank right in front of my hiding place. I figured that he would eventually look up and notice me, so I went for the preemptive strike and said hi. Of course, it scared the crap out of him, and he wondered what I was doing in there. I started laughing because, despite my explanation, which was something along the lines of "I was waiting for my samples to spin in the centrifuge and I wanted to see if I could fit in this gap between the freezers," it was inherently obvious that there was no real explanation, other than the fact that I am a WEIRDO who apparently exhibits some rodent-like affinity for small, dark spaces.

6 comments:

mj said...

You're not alone. I've wanted to do the same thing between the vending machines in the kitchen at work while I wait for my lunch to heat up. Luckily, I've never tried to squeeze in between the vending machines because the kitchen is a high traffic area and I know someone would see me.

Jinxy said...

you're lucky you didn't get punched.

still funny.

eileen said...

even luckier that I didn't get liquid nitrogen spilled all over me- that's what was in the tank the guy was filling.

Lisa Kate said...

I love your weirdness Eileen! Keep cramming yourself into tiny places!

Mrs. V said...

What is it about bright people and being weird?
I know everyone who knows me thinks I'm weird, I like to go outside the box, if I want to do it I do....I don't care if no one else is doing it.
Maria and I both love to watch movies with the subtitles on. Not the foreign language movies, but the English speaking movies..... yeah, you don't have to keep asking, "What'd they say?" when the actors speak softly or mumble. There is this Section Chief at work who does really weird things, too. He mixes V-8 juice with ginger ale. And when it is his turn to present a paper and bring snacks he doesn't bring the traditional cake, cookies, donuts, bagels...etc...but he will bring swiss cheese, salami and tomatoes and figs.

eileen said...

MJ got me started with the subtitles when we were roomates. At first, I thought it was strange, but it does come in handy- you don't miss a thing!

V-8 and ginger ale? Now THAT's weird.