Thursday, May 18, 2006

Thanks, but I really don't deserve it.

So, I just found out that I won an award from my department, in recognition of "scholarly and/or scientific achievement, values of collegiality and scientific integrity." It's very strange that I won it, because usually they give it to students close to finishing who already have a few publications under their belt. I am still a good two or three years away from finishing, and I have a big, fat ZERO publications (slams head repeatedly against desk). Basically, I won it due to my personality and not my performance. Not that my personality is all that winning, but you get the gist. It's a recurring theme with me- like, I was the one who made the sports team because I got along with everyone and tried hard, not because I had sufficient skill. Well, I suppose I should just be happy and not analyze it- because there's a $500 prize. I'm not sure yet if the money is for personal use or for laboratory supplies, but I'm going to use it for laboratory supplies regardless. Um, NOT.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats. That's another line on the resume!! I mean, really, isn't that what drives us all? Or am I going about life all wrong?

Anonymous said...

Hey Eileen- Congratulations! Be proud. Sometimes we can't see for ourselves how good we are at something, ya know?

I wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your blog, which I've been reading pretty religiously since Eri showed me upon my arrival to San Diego. I even went into the archives to see what you said about new years and the drive cross country (new years was sooo fun! I didn't get a chance to tell you how much fun I had, since we left so suddenly...) It was in that archival peruse in fact that I stumbled upon your posting of the link to the Chewbacca website. I just have to say that that page is probably one of the funniest things I've ever seen and I was dying laughing when I saw it. Its really fitting too because ever since I can remember, I have associated you Dunnes with Star Wars and Chewbacca, perhaps due to the roar-impersonation of Chewy Erin always used to do.

Accalades, lady. accalades. You are scholarly scientist with integrity AND a superb blogger.

eileen said...

Thanks, darlings. Bri- I'm glad you're enjoying the blog. Aside from the people who comment regularly, I have no idea who (if anyone) else is reading. I'll definitely see you next time I'm in San Diego :)

brigita said...

Congrats, woma! There's absolutely nothing wrong with leveraging your personality for professional gain, it's the women who leverage their personal "assets" that need a good talking to. ;)

Enjoy that $500!

Anonymous said...

hey, ask eileen about the high school awards ceremony. after mercilessly teasing our friend mark for winning the "gym award" or "physical education award" guess what she won?????????

ps- i've also played sports with her, and she's not at that bad. except for jv basketball. man, she sucked!

eileen said...

I am quite proud of my award for Excellence in Physical Education, thank you very much. And I'm not bitter at all about not winning Excellence in Biology. Honestly.

Just found out that there's a luncheon that goes with my award, and I get to pick the theme. Any suggestions?

Tricia said...

Congratulations on the award!

I would recommend against "Science Experiment or School Cafeteria Meal?" as a theme or anything that involves test tubes for that matter.

I was also the kid on the sports team who was valued primarily for my ability to show up on time every day and alway make good enough grades to never go on academic probation.